Pages

Sunday, April 18, 2010

A First Time for Everything

In September of 2009, Ronnie was laid off. Bummer. No problem, I thought. We'll make it. Less than a week later, I was fired. NICE. I was in a job I hated, doing what I hated, working with people, that for the most part, I "strongly disliked." I said a prayer that morning before leaving for work asking God to close the door and open another, if that was His will....apparently it was.

Even though it was bad timing (and I feel I was wrongfully terminated), I knew that this was obviously meant to be. So began my list of firsts.

1. Fired from a job. Check.
2. Applied for unemployment. Check.
3. Was more broke than ever before. Check.
4. Relied on the help of friends and family more than I care too. Check.
5. Depended solely on myself to find a job. Check.
6. Became more creative, because I didn't have the money to "just buy it." Check.

There are more, but I think you get the point. Getting fired from a job was a huge blow to my pride. I was stressed. I wondered if anyone would hire someone who'd been terminated. That's such a horrible word. I prefer to use the term "released from my duties." I was even more embarrassed for applying for unemployment. Yuck!

As far as my family and friends? Wonderful! I have the best of both!!! My family made sure that my daughter was well taken care of during the holidays. Christmas is my favorite holiday, so being without funds at this time of year...its not right! I know that Christmas isn't about gifts, but I LOVE to buy for people. It wasn't happening. I don't think I've ever been more humbled. Ronnie and I made sure we were able to buy for our families, but didn't do much for each other. Which is how I wanted it. We can buy for each other throughout the year.

I've never found a job solely on my own. I've always known someone on the "inside" to help me. This process started at the early age of 14, when I worked for my father. I didn't even know I could get a job on my own! But, I did. Every interview I went to, I gave it my best. I was hired 2 days before Thanksgiving for a company called First Command Financial Planning. Wow! I did it! So very exciting.

The last 6 months have been wild. Though I've found full time employment, Ronnie has only worked part time. It's been a little crazy, but we've made it. Since money has been tight, I've learned to make things instead of buying them. For instance, I now make Kaitlyn's hair bows. I watched tutorials online, and create from there. They aren't perfect, but they've come a long way from when I started.

I cook more as well. I love to cook; its one of my passions. I collect cook books, and am always up for trying something new. I have definitely learned to be more creative in the kitchen as well. Ronnie doesn't always care for everything I try, but he won't say as much. I can just tell. And that's fine. What good is experimenting if you never have a failed attempt?

The next thing I'm going to try is crocheting. I would love to learn, and classes are being offered on Fort Polk. Now, I know this sounds a little strange. I'm 27, and I want to crotchet? What's next? Quilting? HA!! No, but I would love to learn to sew. I've never had the desire for any of this before. I've always claimed the highest level of "lack of creativity." I've never considered myself someone to say, "oh, I can make that. That's easy." Not me. Not anymore!! I think I may have found a new passion!

As frustrating as losing a job can be, I have made lemonade. And, I'm enjoying every sip.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I loved this blog. I think more people need to hear about stuff like this. Too often blogs are about the good times, including mine. When Milton and I got married, he was unemployed for 8 months. It stunk but I learned so much. I would not want to repeat it but the lessons I learned I would not trade for anything.

I would love to learn how to crochet and sew, especially sew. It is so hard to find skirts that are long and cute. I do not like short skirts. I just lack the talent

kaitlynsmom said...

Thanks Amanda! I am learning slowly but surely... Thanks for checking it out!

Post a Comment